Wednesday, March 30, 2011

22/46 Big Steps on a Long Journey

The journey continues. Like herding cattle on the trails through the Old West, there are trials and triumphs along the way. We encounter moments where we find success and moments where we find obstacles that try to prevent us from achieving the goal that lies ahead. Sundays have most definitely been bright spots... victories if you will... along the journey I have undertaken. This last Sunday, however, seemed to be more of a Monday hindrance than a Sunday delight. Monday was the most difficult Monday so far. Today was the first time since the beginning that I have felt a real break through, mentally. Saturday was a good step also. At the ballpark playing baseball, sunflower seeds, ballpark hot dogs and nachos just seem to fall hand in hand. While buying snacks for the boys, it wasn't easy to refuse the treats for me... until I saw the price tag. They weren't so enticing any more. Today on the other hand, was a different story. I was called to minister to a friend in a time of crisis. He needed an ear and a word of advice. Why not Starbucks (since there is no Scooters Coffehouse here...)? I mean there is nothing like a $5 cup of coffee to get people to open up. On the way there, he had mentioned that he had not eaten lunch or breakfast. It was now 2:30 pm. So we pulled up to McDonald's and went inside. I figured I could spend $5 on his coffee or $5 on a meal. Inside was the challenge. The $1.00 menu. I am embarrassed to say how difficult it was to stand there and order a meal for him without getting anything for myself. No McDouble, no small fry but I refrained and felt good about it. I walked away from Mickey D's feeling a sense of accomplishment and gaining a realization that my mindset regarding my food consumption is changing. Praise God! I know it has been only through prayer and meditation on the Bread of Life and the Living Water that has sustained me in this process.



I have lost 24 pounds. This morning I weighed in at 210 lbs. I haven't been this size since Heather was pregnant with Dylan 7 years ago. My thought processes and train of thought is still not what it used to be, but it is getting better. I think my metabolism may be slowing considerably as I have been cold for 5 days straight. granted it has been cold for 5 days, but I usually thrive in such conditions. Today, even in a room that was 72 degrees, I was still chilled to the bone. I guess now I know how my wife feels ALL THE TIME (love you baby!). All in all, I feel great about the place God is leading me to. I think I will be better equipped to serve in His Kingdom by not allowing anything except my Savior, my God, and His Holy Spirit to exhibit any form of control in my life.

Thank you to all of you who have offered prayer and support during this journey. 24 days to go. I have never looked forward to Easter as much as I do this year. I am eager to look back and see where this journey takes me.

No comments:

Post a Comment