Thursday, April 14, 2011

37/48 Pressing On With Character

What is character? You can give a photo character by adjusting tones, highlights, or lowlights and maybe changing perspective, but we don't seem to look at a plain, straight-forward picture of what is seen every day as 'character'. Something needs to be changed, modified, magnified or altered completely in order to be described as having character.



Someone who is funny or quirky or down-right weird is often referred to as a character. When things are going tough, we always say, "It'll be all right, that builds character." But what is it about those times that actually build character? What is the character we are trying to build? As ministers and Christians, what is our character supposed to look like?



There should be something within a Christian that is altered, changed, completely transformed from the shape it once was that builds character. The life-changing event that is the death, burial and resurrection of our Savior both magnifies and hides our sin... better yet, removes our sin. The cross, the suffering of a faithful redeemer, bring to light the times I fall short and fail to meet the expected standard of God's holy people. The empty tomb brings to light the hope with which we live as we serve a God who has conquered death and has risen never to die again. He has promised us that same resurrection. The penalty that he accepted for all of my "falling shorts" : ) is a humble reminder that my God has made it possible for me to stand in His presence blameless and pure.



Christ has brought His people into photoshop and adjusted the "red curve" to maximum and somehow that brings us out looking radiantly white, pure as the driven snow, and so bright and blown out that it doesn't make sense... and it gives us character. The cross molds us and shapes us into something new, altered, with a different perspective, and totally and completely changed.

As minister's of the gospel, that character is exaggerated, magnified, and scrutinized. As those who are called to accept a role as a spokesman for God and representative of the church to the church and to the community, I think it is important that we accept such scrutiny. As Christians and children of God, we should cherish it as well because of what it means we have a hope for.

My journey of late has definitely been a "character-building" journey. Less than 9 days to go to bring my journey to completion. My fatigue has been better, and so has my train of thought. I have lost over 30 pounds, but the weight loss has slowed dramatically over the last week. I think that my body might be wondering what is going on. I am eager to get back in to a routine that most would consider "normal." I am eager to see how difficult it is to continue to create new and healthier habits. I am eager to see how easily it will be to maintain the new mindset I have created. I know that God is faithful. I know He is in control. I am thankful for the reminders (the gentle ones and the not-so-gentle ones) that the only thing in my life exhibiting any control will be Him and His Will.

No comments:

Post a Comment