Monday, April 4, 2011

27/46 Course Adjustment

So, I was sitting at the dinner table with my family this evening and I was thinking to myself, "Self, you have done well. You have exhibited an ability to control your own food intake and have created some good new eating habits. You have accomplished your goal. Now go eat some of that amazingly good-smelling homemade stromboli." After all, I am not really bound by the "lenten process." There is nothing special about the 46 days between Ash Wednesday and Holy Saturday. If I were to stop today and resume life as normal, most wouldn't know or care. The ones who would care would certainly understand and agree. My intention has been realized and it could be called a success.



But I have resolved to find a resting place among the thorns. While the main thrust of this initiative would have been "officially" met, There is something to the completion of a time table. My eating (on Sundays) has certainly been much more disciplined, and my desire to eat simply because food is available is no longer present... Even food that I "love". I am acutely aware of all the poor habits I was n and have made habits of controlling for myself what I will consume. Part of my goal, however, was the completion of a time period... a fast of forty days.



So, I have made a decision to adjust my sights on a new goal. I have made many excuses in the past to move on to something new when what has already been started is not quite complete. I have made a habit of starting something of great value, proving that I have the ability to do something, and then moving on to a new challenge. I resolve to finish what I have started. This will not be a time where one excuse or another will allow me to cut short the commitment I have made to myself. Now that I have created a sense of control over food, I will devote these last 19 days to finishing that which has been started. (I am sure my beautiful bride will be ecstatic if I may have similar success.) Here's to new heights and new goals to reach.

1 comment:

  1. Yippee! I am so proud of you and what you have accomplished so far.

    ReplyDelete