Monday, May 2, 2011

Is There Rejoicing?

As Christians, what do we do with the death of one of the most prominent leaders of evil forces in the world today? What is the appropriate response as people living in a world changed by his action, as people who lost loved ones and friends by his hand, as people who have lost loved ones and friends by his military, as followers of the Almighty God, or as those whose lives have been changed by the Risen Savior.

“Osama Bin Laden has been killed by US Navy Seals! His body is in possession of the US military.” That was the report. My first reaction was satisfaction… I don’t know if joy really describes it, but it was definitely a positive reaction. I was quickly reminded of the instruction from Jesus in the sermon on the mount.

Matthew 5.43-48
43 “You have heard that it was said, ‘Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ 44 But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, 45 that you may be children of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. 46 If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that? 47 And if you greet only your own people, what are you doing more than others? Do not even pagans do that? 48 Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect.

But, surely Osama was far more than an enemy. He was moving about the world breathing murderous threats against the west due in a large part to their Christian perspective and the perceived threat to the way of life that his religious thought called for. He was single-handedly responsible for taking the lives of thousands of people across the world. His face would likely appear on the Mount Rushmore of evil powers. Once again I am reminded of the words of Jesus, this time as he looked down from the cross. Were not the soldiers who drove nails in his feet and hands and beat him within an inch of his life more than simply enemies? As Jesus looked down and asked God for their forgiveness, he acknowledged that His sacrifice was even for those who took his life and were the source of his agony. Is it possible that my extreme view of Osama Bin Laden has served as a reprieve for unchristian thinking? More than possible, it is likely that is the case.

I am also reminded of another who went around the world breathing murderous threats against Christ and killing his followers. This man, though, repented and turned from his ways to become a mighty warrior FOR the Kingdom as opposed to against it. I think it is important to acknowledge the justice that is God’s. I think it is equally important to acknowledge the sadness that comes to the father when one is lost. I Tim. 2.4 says that he wants all to be saved and come to a knowledge of the truth. It is easy for my heart to be hardened and calloused when there is so much evil in the world. I pray that I may be able to properly balance a soft heart full of the love of Christ, an intolerance for evil, thanksgiving for the closure that many now have, rejoicing in the justice of the Almighty God, and the kind of forgiveness His sacrifice obligates me to.

As children of God, we are called to love as Christ loves us. Loving those who stand in opposition to us is what sets us apart - or makes us holy. I fear much of my response leaves me in a place no different from the rest of the world. In our love we are called to be perfect as our Heavenly Father is perfect. It is a struggle daily. Today, though, more than others, the struggle is great. May the God of peace be with you today. May His love be rich within you and beam out into the world of darkness.

I pray God's protection be on all those who continue to fight across the world for freedoms that we enjoy at home. I pray that this event may facilitate some closure to the war in this part of the world. I pray that our loved ones may soon be able to return home to their families, I pray that this will have a positive effect on situations across the world. I pray that our men and women be protected against any backlash that may arise in the coming days.

Peace <><
Joshua Fowler

1 comment:

  1. I pray with you along the lines of the last paragraph of this blog.....

    ReplyDelete