Monday, January 24, 2011

Where's the Bush?

What is it to be "called" into something? We often think of it in terms of ministerial positions, but do we feel as though we are "called" to do the things we are passionate about? Why do we choose to be accountants, salesmen, lawyers, doctors or carpenters? Is it just a convenient way of providing for one's self or family, or is there a sense of purpose behind the career paths we choose? Is it proper that a higher scrutiny is placed on the "calling" of one going into ministry?

There are times when I think that it would be easier to know the right way if God would just appear to me in a burning bush and tell me where it is He wants me to go. However, it is very quickly that I realize that even in cases such as these, it wasn't very easy. Abram doubted, Sarai laughed, Moses told God that His choice was wrong, and Jonah ran away (maybe he was the smartest one). A divine calling, though, is crucial to the success and enduring longevity of a minister's effort. When times are difficult and the strain on person and family seems to be too great to bear, it is often a sense of obligation to God that gives the foresight to press on and move forward with the path we are on.

I know that God has blessed me in ways that are unique. I know that I am passionate about working in His Kingdom. I know that so many friends and family agree that the path I am on is the correct one, but there are so many forks in the road. I also know that God will work through me and my family regardless of the choice we make and what precise path we decide to take.

I pray for the wisdom to recognize the voice of God whatever form it may come in. I pray for a soft heart that is willing to be molded by His Spirit. I pray that my eyes be wide open and focused clearly in his direction when He shows the way. I pray that I am awake and alert when opportunity knocks on my door so that I may not miss one chance to consider. I pray for His peace to fill my life and those close to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment