Monday, May 6, 2013

WORDS

So I have had this song in my head for about four days straight, now

Words, by Hawk Nelson

Words can build us up
Words can break us down
Start a fire in our hearts or
Put it out

Let my words be life
Let my words be truth
I don't wanna say a word
Unless it points the world back to You

It made me start thinking this morning about the power our words have both on those around us as well as on our own disposition. We are often so careful about what we say, when and where we say it, and to whom we say it to. But then other times, our words are carelessly strewn about. "Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me" may be the biggest lie we tell as little children (or as adults for that matter). The fact is, "words can kill me!"

It seems a little dramatic, but look around you today. Watch the child's spirit crushed by the il-chosen words of a distracted or short-tempered "caregiver". Please don't hear me relinquishing myself of any responsibility here. I believe there is a purpose for this particular earworm in my own life. I tell my children time and time again to mind their words. Speak to each other with respect and love. Watch your tone when you are talking to me. But the instruction seems to fall on deaf ears. Where could they possibly be learning such behavior?

James 3 has some powerful words to say in this arena. This is my mission today, and every day; I will be intentional with my words. I will strive to have everything that comes out of my mouth point to my God and my King. I pray my words will be true, helpful, inspiring, necessary, and kind. Will you join me?

I don't wanna say a word
Unless it points the world back to You

Let the words I say
Be the sound of Your grace
I don't wanna say a word
Unless it points the world back to You

I wanna speak Your love
Not just another noise
Oh, I wanna be Your light
I wanna be Your voice

1 comment: